I'm not sure how many of you follow education news in states (or countries) other than your own, but state testing has officially started for us this week and it has been hectic. For as type-A and structured as teachers like to be, we sure do need to be flexible!
In the midst of the insanity, I've been finding joy in the little things.
1. Groceries. I actually hate grocery shopping but I love putting everything away and then having a neatly stocked fridge and pantry. Matt and I are both monitoring our eating lately; he's trying to gain weight and I'm trying to "snack healthier". (Basically I'm trying not to eat a cup of Nutella with pretzels after work every day.)
|Highlights include microwaveable soup (a lunch made for teachers), fresh fish, tons of fruit and yogurt, and salad fixings.|
2. Quality dinners. Matt agreed to take over some of the cooking this week, and I was very impressed. Plus, Kristin and I met to go shopping Tuesday and she surprised me with gluten free Teriyaki sauce, so I tried my hand at homemade stir fry!
|I know it doesn't look that appetizing but it was so simple and really delicious. I used bell peppers, baked chicken, eggs, and brown rice.|
|I'm rediscovering my love of dinner salads. Matt cooked these shrimp to perfection!|
3. Running. As usual, the more stressed I am, the more motivated I am to get my runs in. I ran with Matt early in the week and was treated to this lovely sunset. (I can tell DST is nearly over because it's been sunny when I start my runs, but still dark by the end.) My calves were screaming on this run and I've started Flonase so I thought maybe that was related...maybe Flonase and Mucinex have similar results?
|Such a pretty pink and purple sky!|
Then later this week, I ran the same bridge (with better results) under the full moon in all its glory. No Flonase today, no leg cramps. Hm.
|The moon is brighter than the streetlamps!|
4. Time with friends. Like I mentioned, Kristin and I went shopping this week. I got a new bag and wallet, and this was an extra highlight because I used my birthday gift card from my MIL so they were basically free! I haven't had time to go shopping just for fun in so long, and it was really nice to spend time together not running.
|The wallet has a wrist-chain and a slot inside for my phone, so it can double as a clutch!|
Kristin also got this stellar photo of us finishing the Gasparilla 15k together!
5. Pampering myself. I recently switched from my usual face wash, etc, to using the Mario Badescu line. I'm really happy; so far my skin seems calmer and less broken-out, and the drying face mask is seriously miraculous.
The company's website has a questionnaire you can fill out and they'll send you free samples. Technically this isn't a "this week" highlight, but I wanted to wait a few weeks to see how I really liked the products before I posted.
What have your highlights been this week?
Who does the cooking in your household?
What's in your grocery cart every week?