As you guys know, Matt and I have been mostly-vegan at home these days. This is a great plant-based recipe!
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 2 cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I did one with garlic and one without)
- 1 can fire-roasted corn
- 1 can coconut milk, unsweetened (I used "lite")
- 1 tbsp corn starch (optional)
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, red chili flakes to taste
- Nutritional yeast to taste (as a topping)
- 2 cups rice (I used jasmine)
|Seasonings not pictured.|
Cook the rice according to the package. (Or do yourself a favor and get a rice cooker. Best $35 I ever spent!)
This honestly couldn't be simpler.
- Drain all your canned legumes and veggies.
- Warm the tomatoes and corn in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chickpeas. Stir together, then cover and allow to cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the can of coconut milk and seasonings and stir well. (You could add your red pepper flakes at this point, but Matt doesn't like them so I held mine back and added it to my serving only.)
- Cover once more and cook another 5 minutes.
At this point, if your sauce still looks very runny, add some corn starch by sprinkling it evenly over the entire dish and stirring well to avoid clumps. I did so and then let it continue to simmer for about three more minutes.
|You could absolutely add other veggies to this - peppers, onions, whatever!|
This recipes makes a whopping nine 1-cup servings, coming in at around 170 calories/serving (not including the rice).
I topped mine with a sprinkle of Nutritional Yeast and red pepper flakes and it was freaking amazing.
I feel like this would be a great meal for weekly meal-prep because of how much it makes. You could easily halve the recipe, too. It's so versatile! I feel like this will definitely become a staple for us.